What're you seeing this weekend? HERE ARE YOUR OPTIONS:
The Twilight Saga: New Moon: I suspect that whoever came up with the title for this is also the person who came up with the name Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire. They should not be allowed to title things.
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Saphire: Mo'nique's latest fun-filled comedy!
Black Dynamite: It's no Pootie Tang.
The Yes Men Fix the World: Jackass for the NPR set!
The Blind Side: In which Sandra Bulluck takes some time off from making crappy romantic comedies to solve that pesky race problem.
Also, it's a surprisingly strong week in terms of older films playing at different spots around town, usually for cheap or for free:
• The always-beautiful Magnolia is at the Press Club (2621 SE Clinton) on Sunday at 8 (free).
• Wong Kar-Wai's In the Mood for Love (also beautiful!) is at the Fifth Avenue Cinema (510 SW Hall) this weekend.
• Best in Show and This is Spinal Tap make for a Christopher Guest-tastic double feature at Boxxes (1035 SW Stark) on Monday (Show at 8:30, Spinal Tap at 10:30, free).
• Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan used to be, indisputably, the best Star Trek movie ever—until J.J. Abrams' Star Trek came along, making that whole nerd debate infinitely more complicated and annoying. Anyway, Khan is at Pix Patisserie (3901 N Williams) on Monday at 8:30 (free).
• Michael Mann's Heat, which is probably one of my top-ten favorites, is at the Laurelhurst through Wednesday.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!