Productive time at the Mercury offices (stop laughing!) came to an early end today when the power went out around 3 pm. KATU fired up their diesel generator across the street, but us humble print-media folks aren't so well-equipped.
Biking is a challenge, as all the traffic lights on NE Sandy from 12th through the 20s are out. The cause? A power line caught fire at NE 12th and Sandy. It got so hot that when it hit the ground, it melted the asphalt.
Here's a pic of blown-up asphalt, rubber bits and fire-extinguisher foam at the scene:
Word on the street at 3 pm was that it would take a couple hours to get power back on. More shoddy iPhone pictures after the jump.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!