Here's what we're looking for:
• Someone who is interested in the Portland arts scene, including visual art, books, theater, dance, and, you know, other kinds of arts stuff. If you hate the arts, you will probably hate this internship.
• Someone who can come in two days a week. Wednesdays and Thursdays are ideal, although it is not set in stone.
• Someone who can commit for a period of at least three months. Our current arts intern is leaving at the end of April after nine months of dedicated, unpaid service! Although that is weird. We don't expect you to stay for nine months.
• The arts intern's primary responsibilities will be helping out with our arts calendar—both online and in the paper. It involves a good amount of super-exciting data entry! Actually, if you are serious about the arts, there is no better way to learn about what's going on around town. You will become an instant expert, and can sneer down on your acquaintances accordingly.
• There will be other responsibilities that periodically arise. We'd also like you to attend our weekly editorial meetings, snuggle with the office pugs, and, if you're up for it, just generally be cool and funny. We will try to do the same.
It's fun here! (Actually, it really is.) Sound like something you're interested in? Shoot me an email with "Arts Intern" in the subject, and include a cover letter, a resumé with relevant experience, and writing samples if you have them. I'll be accepting applications until the end of next week, April 9. We're hoping to find someone who can start by the end of the month. Maybe that's you. Good luck!
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!