1. Legendary rock critic Greil Marcus is reading at Powell's tonight. Here's what Ned had to say about his newest:
Music writer Greil Marcus attempts a critical analysis of Van Morrison in When That Rough God Goes Riding. It's mostly bullshit masquerading as pseudo-scholarly musings; Marcus' asides and digressions prove he's got no real thesis to work with.
2. At Things From Another World's Hollywood location tonight at 8 pm, there's a release party for the trade paperback collection of Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber's Underground... which, whoops!, won't actually be done in time for the release party. In lieu of finished trades, TFAW has come up with a few other ways to trick you into attending:
* We will have copies of the individual Underground comics FREE for party attendees (while supplies last)! Get 'em signed by the creators!
* Everyone who reserves a copy of the Underground trade at the party will get a FREE insert sketch from Jeff or Steve!
* Attendees will also get a FREE release party-exclusive print!
And free beer from McTarnahans, who might as well just sponsor my liver at this point. Read our interview with Jeff Parker here; and here's a funny picture of Parker that Steve Lieber posted on Twitter last week, which will either get you excited for this Saturday's Jeff Parker-hosted Comics Art Battle, or will make you glad you don't read comics and aren't friends with any people who do.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!