While nostalgic irony may have been vanquished, regular irony is still making headlines. Natural medicine advocate and AIDS denier Gary Null is recovering after a manufacturing snafu caused him to overdose on Vitamin D. The author, along with half a dozen consumers, had been ingesting a batch of his Ultimate Power
Fail Meal, accidentally laced with 1,000 times the correct dose of Vitamin D when he began experiencing bleeding "within his feet." Also: severe kidney damage. Null is suing the manufacturer, Triarco Industries for $10 million. According to Discovery News:
Null and his customers would likely not have been poisoned if his products were held to the same standards and regulations that real drugs are subjected to—and which Null and others in the "alt med" industry have long rejected.
There's a joke about "taste of his own medicine" in there somewhere.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!