The City of Portland has a special permit process for art bike racks that has led to a lot of hilarious designs popping up recently. Here I've gathered together the 10 I think are the most surprising. There are dozens more around town, though, so feel free to disagree. Here we go!
1. WWJD? Ride a bicycle, of course, to the Lutheran church on NE 14th and Knott.
2. This new whisk outside Saint Cupcake.
3. Choose your gender outside Planned Parenthood's northeast headquarters.
4. I love this Easter Island totem rack made for tiki-themed karaoke bar the Alibi.
5. I ride past this one every day on SE Ankeny and I still have no idea what it is. I think it's a software company?
6. Dentist bike rack!
7. This rack isn't as well known as its four-eyed friend, but it's always struck me as far more bizarre.
8. The Fremont Bridge rack. Beautifully made—I think a lot of people don't realize this is a rack.
9. Northwest mountain rack! I'm pretty sure this is the one at the carts on 12th and Hawthorne.
10. And, of course, the bicycle bike rack.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!