A Multnomah County grand jury has found no criminal wrongdoing in the March 4 police shooting of Santiago A. Cisneros III, an Iraq war vet who cops say fired a shotgun at two officers atop a Lloyd District parking garage.
From the district attorney's office, sent a little after 5 tonight:
Today the Multnomah County grand jury returned a not true bill in the death investigation of Santiago Cisneros III. At approximately 10:45 p.m. on March 4, 2013, Mr. Cisneros was shot by police on the top deck of a parking structure located at NE 7th and Lloyd Blvd. in Portland. Mr. Cisneros later died of his injuries in the early morning hours of March 5, 2013. The grand jury determined that the shooting by members of the Portland Police Bureau was justified under the criminal law.
Transcripts of the testimony before the grand jury should be completed next week. A motion to publicly disclose the transcripts will be presented to the court. If the motion is granted, notification will be sent out and the transcripts will be posted on the public Multnomah County District Attorney’s website.
Cisneros, 32, was shot by officers Brad Kula and Michele Boer who had been driving their cars to the top of the parking garage only to find Cisneros already there. The police bureau says Cisneros confronted them and fired first, with a shotgun, missing both.
Cisneros had told a Seattle TV station in 2009 that he had attempted suicide at least once before, months after leaving Iraq. Hours before the shooting, he was spending time at the camping protest on the sidewalk and curbsides outside Portland City Hall. He was the second man shot by police this year.
The announcement comes two days after the DA's office released transcripts of grand jury interviews in the city's first police shooting of 2013, involving Merle Mikal Hatch.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!